If you’ve been selling or thought of selling on Etsy for any amount of time you’ve probably run into questions about copyright issues.
I asked for submissions for this Etsy Copyright Q&A episode and I’d like to thank each person who took the time to submit questions… You really helped make this episode (and the next one) possible as I could not possibly have thought of all these questions myself 🙂
Thanks to all the questions that came in from the community, Your Etsy Copyright Questions Answered will be a 2-part episode because we couldn’t fit all the questions and answers into one episode.
My guest this week and next is Jared Haynie… He’s a practicing lawyer with Cambridge Law in Denver, CO and he’s also my lawyer!
Working with Jared has dispelled a lot of my misconceptions about lawyers so I felt very comfortable asking him to be my guest on the podcast.
Jared is here to help address and answer some of the common copyright-related questions that are swirling around within the Etsy seller community.
Please be aware though that he will be answering these questions in general terms as it is not possible to know each person’s unique situation and the specific circumstances surrounding some of the questions.
In this first part we discuss the following topics:
- Setting up your business the right way
- The IRS’s expectations with respect to income earned
- Jared defines some legal terms like “Statutes” and “Fair Use”…and more
- Resources for staying on the right side of the law
Copyright Questions Answered in This Episode
- Incorporating song lyrics into products
- Etsy’s enforcement of another entity’s copyright
- Copyright vs. Trademark vs. Intellectual Property vs. Licensed products
- Self-made disclaimers in product listings
If you don’t hear your question answered in this week’s episode please tune in for Part.2 next week… We tried to cover every single question that was submitted so hold tight.
If you have a question that we didn’t cover, please leave a comment below or email it directly to me and I will gather them and submit to Jared.
Please note: he gets paid to do this for a living and I’ll be covering the cost of sending him your questions.
This episode of the podcast is sponsored by Etsy Success Strategies ~ The Audio Series. Subscribe to these premium podcasts and listen your way to successfully selling on Etsy.
- If you struggle to keep up with the Etsy Success emails (and other educational materials from Etsy), OR if you’ve have fallen behind in going through the Seller Handbook…
- Then sit back, press play, and get caught up one recording at a time.
- Subscribe now at ConvoMe.com/ReadToMe and you’ll get immediate access to the entire library of audio recordings not available on the free ConvoMe.com site or anywhere else…
- Then stick around because I add new audio content to the library continuously.
If you like what you hear in this episode and this entire series, please go to ConvoMe.com/ReadToMe to subscribe to Etsy Success Strategies ~ The Audio Series
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: