Affiliate disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. If you enjoy reading “Legalese”, here’s my full disclosure policy.
Elizabeth Whitton is an inspiration. She went from SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) to full-time creative entrepreneur, and her Etsy story proves that with hard work (and time) success is possible!
Now she runs the Etsy shop Felted Sky (she also has her own website at FeltedSky.com) and she’s been selling on Etsy since 2009.
In that time, she has had 3 shops and racked up over 28,000 sales; now she is a full-time seller (both on and off Etsy), and has been since 2014.
Lessons Learned When Scaling a Creative Business On & Off Etsy
With so many years of selling experience, I knew my conversation with Elizabeth would be jam-packed with information about what she’s learned over the years…
What has worked and what hasn’t, and lots of advice about what she would do differently (or not) and lessons current and aspiring sellers can learn from her own experiences.
- Using various website-building platforms – WordPress, Big Cartel, and Shopify
- Taking time to find a niche >> thoughts and experiences with switching niches
- Working with independent contractors and hiring employees
- Outsourcing >> knowing when and what tasks to outsource and which ones to keep in-house
- Teaching in-person and at vendor shows
- Branching out into the world of wholesale >> lessons learned from attending a trade show (don’t miss this part of the discussion if you’re considering wholesale)
- Making shipping decisions during a time of USPS uncertainty
- Inventory management software and systems
- Leasing office equipment >> knowing what and when to lease vs purchase
- And sooooo much more…
- WordPress, Big Cartel, Shopify – website-building platforms
- Trunk – inventory management software
- Best Value Copy – online printers for color copies (and much more)
- Online Labels – printers of all kinds of custom labels
Connect With Elizabeth
- Etsy shop: Felted Sky
- Website: FeltedSky.com
- Social media: Instagram, Facebook
Please take a minute to subscribe and leave an honest review of the podcast in iTunes and Stitcher. That really helps to get the word out about the show.
Connect With Me:
- Instagram: @EtsyConversations
- Twitter: @ConvoMePodcast