Running an Etsy shop full-time can be as time-consuming as it is exhilarating, but what if you’re working full-time outside the home while running your Etsy shop? Where do you find the time to get everything done? From designing your beautiful products to promoting them?
This week I’m re-broadcasting my first conversation with Ben and Monica Wigen, owners of the Etsy shop Catch Me Studio.
They share their journey into becoming shop owners while working full-time jobs.
Ben and Monica first discovered Etsy back in late-2010 – months before they decided to take a leap of faith and open their own Etsy shop. Once the shop was open, though, they never looked back! In our conversation, you’ll hear how the duo work well together. Ben handles all the design work for the shop’s printable invitations while Monica is the shop’s “wreath-making machine”… Well, at the time of our conversation she was…
In addition, the team share the responsibilities of running their shop – from learning and understanding SEO across multiple platforms such as Google as well as Etsy to juggling the full-time job of keeping up with social media promotion and networking.
In our convo, the couple share how they manage their time working full-time outside of the home while running their Etsy shop and where they get their inspiration and motivation from when they hit a creative rut.
We also discuss the learning curve that many new Etsy sellers face and why they decided to create their own website outside of Etsy to help promote their shop and products.
- Why they picked weddings as their primary niche
- Running an Etsy shop while working outside the home
- Using social media to promote you Etsy shop and products
- Working as a team and dividing responsibilities to get more done in less time
- Developing valuable relationships within the Etsy community
- Pulling inspiration and creative direction from custom order requests
- Overcoming creative ruts by switching creative focus
- Learning how international shipping works and addressing customer concerns
Best Ways to Reach Ben & Monica
- Etsy Shop: Catch Me Studio
- Website: Catch Me Studio
- Social Media: Facebook Page | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: