Entrepreneurs need to learn to adapt to rapidly evolving markets and unstable business conditions to survive in the tough world of business. Saskia runs the Etsy shop Natural Born Customs and she was ready to face these challenges when she first set-up her Etsy shop in 2013. Little did she know that she was about to face a much bigger battle – a battle for her very own life, against cancer.
Artist and customizer, Saskia, has always been naturally different. While others fear being different, Saskia was afraid of blending in. She felt the need to look different and be different. She began customizing her own clothes, which immediately caught people’s attention due to the uniqueness of her designs. After receiving several requests from people who wanted their items customized, Saskia decided to start an Etsy shop to share her art with more people.
After setting up her shop and receiving her first sale on Etsy in 2013, Saskia realized that she had to abandon her newly founded business when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She battled this killer disease for almost 3 years before finally claiming victory and getting her life back.
In this week’s episode, Saskia shares how cancer transformed her life completely and how it has made her even more passionate about the unique art that she creates on products in her Etsy shop.
Saskia discusses her fears, the difficulties of being a “one-person” show, and the challenges she faced in re-opening her business. She also shares invaluable resources that have helped her learn and re-learn how to manage her Etsy shop. We also discuss concepts about SEO and blogging on Etsy.
I make things with so much love… So to be able to give somebody something that will make them technicolor and just make them stand out from the crowd makes me feel wonderful.
Natural Born Customs – Topics Discussed
- Saskia shares how her outlook on business has changed after surviving cancer.
- Saskia’s collaborative design process.
- Daily routines.
- The challenges of working as a full-time business owner.
- The importance of personal social interaction.
- Fears that come with selling your own creations.
- Recommended tags and keywords to improve your Etsy Shop’s SEO.
- Improving your business by participating in craft fairs and exhibits.
- Challenges of Etsy sellers who offer customized items or services.
- A direct approach to getting rid of your fears of shipping internationally.
- Finding the right brand or identity for your blog.
- Staying motivated to succeed.
- The importance of authenticity over automation in marketing.
Natural Born Customs – Resources Mentioned:
- Etsy Resources: The Etsy Seller Handbook (haven’t read the Etsy Seller Handbook yet? Join the Etsy Conversations Premium Community and listen your way to success!)
- Podcasts: Etsy Conversations Podcast: Episode 153 – Fuzzy and Birch
- Courses: The Etsy Academy by Jenny Waldrop
- Sheri Schmelzer: Earning Millions from Crocs Decorations
Best Ways to Reach Saskia
- Etsy Shop: Natural Born Customs
- Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest
- Email: saskia [at] naturalborncustoms [dot] com
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: