The world of internet marketing can be intimidating, I know this personally and maybe you’ve had a similar experience in your online ventures.
Where should you market your products? How do you come up with a great marketing strategy?
This week’s podcast episode is a replay of my first conversation with Dan Safkow – owner of the Etsy shop iMakeTheCase.
Dan spent over 20 years working with Fortune 500 companies in the marketing and promotions industry before he became self-employed.
At his previous corporate job, he was responsible for helping major organizations and businesses improve their offline marketing techniques. However, since opening his shop in January 2013, Dan has successfully learned many techniques and strategies for promoting his products online through social media, SEO, and video marketing.
In our conversation, Dan shares his story on how he got started on Etsy and the different venues he sells his unique, hand-crafted bamboo cell phone cases for Galaxy phones and iPhones. He also explains how he gains inspiration and design ideas from various things around him as well as things he reads in media articles and on Etsy.
Dan shares his unique – and brilliant – way of avoiding negative feedback from his customers by simply making it easy to reach him on his personal cell phone.
Side note: If you would rather not use your personal cell phone for business, you can always get a free Google Voice number and use that instead.
Dan also explains why he believes that more Etsy sellers should be creating videos and using the power of YouTube as a simple, cost-effective way to promote their products and reach their target market on a personal level.
iMake the Case – Topics Discussed
- Time-management techniques while working on multiple e-commerce venues
- Hiring assistants to help with your business operations
- Finding the right balance between creativity and marketing
- What it means to “know your costs”
- Purchasing designs from other Etsy sellers for commercial use
- Handling disputes and negative feedback
- The benefits of providing an open line of communication to your customers
- How crafting events can be beneficial – even if you do not make a sale
- Marketing strategies for Etsy sellers
- Outsourcing: Task Rabbit
- Research & Articles: Flipboard
- Marketing & Promotion: Etsy Promoted Listings | YouTube
- Website Building: BigCommerce | Storenvy
Best Ways to Reach Dan
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: