It almost seems like old news now but back in June 2018, Etsy announced that as of July 16, 2018 three would be some major changes to how business is done on Etsy.
Particularly, the announcement mentioned an increase in final transaction fees from 3.5% to 5% and that this new transaction fee would be added to shipping fees charged as well.
There was also the introduction of two new paid subscription plans.
Needless to say, this caused quite a stir among sellers in the Etsy community and the reactions aran the gamut… From those who embraced it as a cost of doing business to those who rejected as a barrier to growth and expansion.
There were those who were ready to immediately jump on the paid subscription bandwagon and those who were ready to immediately exit stage left.
My guest this week belongs to the latter group. She’s Stacey of the former Etsy shop Graceful Dawn Designs and she flew the Etsy coop pretty soon after the announcement dropped.
Stacey now runs her own ecommerce website – GracefulDawnDesigns.Squarespace.com – and in our conversation we talk all about her journey onto Etsy, her time on Etsy, and her transition from Etsy.
It’s great! 🙂
I am truly grateful to Stacey for her openness and honesty about her journey and how things have played out for her. It’s might have been easier to be angry or bitter but Stacey is just all about the business, making decisions that are in the best interest of her business, growing from lessons learned, and forging ahead.
You’ll hear us talk about:
- Stacey’s Etsy journey and her main reason for leaving the platform
- Calculating the cost of Etsy’s increase in transaction fees
- Effects of the new fees on international sellers
- Assessing the financial implications of leaving Etsy
- Stacey’s transition from Etsy to an independent website – the nuts and bolts of how she did it
- Intro to Squarespace… Available plans, fees, apps for Squarespace sites, etc.
- SEO and traffic generation plans
- Newsletter signup and setup tips
- And so much more…
- Niagara Etsy Artisans Team on Etsy and Facebook group
- ShipStation – tool for integrating shipping (and shipping discounts) into your website (it works with your Etsy shop as well!)
- SnapSeed App – for photo editing on your smartphone made by Google ~ iOS and Android versions
Connect With Stacey
- Website: GracefulDawnDesigns.Squarepsace.com
- Email: GracefulDawnDesigns [at] gmail [dot] com
- Social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: