Let’s start with some fundamental information, a good place to begin is with a very basic definition before jumping right in.
GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation and on May 25th, 2018, that’s in two days (from the date this originally goes live), this regulation will be in full effect, so in this podcast episode we’re talking about what you need to know (for starters) to make sure you’re in compliance.
I’m talking with returning podcast guest, Lesley Hays of Artisan Analytics and if you recall our original conversation in Episode 201 back in December 2017, Lesley is a data genius… She’s all about learning how to use data to make decisions that move you forward and make your selling efforts more profitable.
GDPR is a new regulation in the European Union, though it affects businesses outside the EU that serve customers within the EU. It gives individuals in the EU more transparency, rights, and control over how their information is used and also places certain obligations on businesses that process said customers’ personal information.
This topic is super important and it was addressed in the Etsy Forums on May 1st, 2018, where TJ Parks – Etsy’s Data Protection, Compliance, & Privacy Officer – responded to questions from the community about this new regulation and how it affects us as Etsy sellers.
Lesley and I touch on some of the questions that were asked in the forums and TJ’s responses to them, in addition to the following:
- How to ensure that tools we use are compliant
- Privacy policies… So much to say here but Lesley helps to demystify it
- Dealing with spam/unwanted emails & how to handle being added to subscription lists without your consent
- Cookies and Google Analytics (this was Lesley’s question to TJ) 😉
- And other related issues…
- Etsy forum thread with TJs GDPR Q&A
- List of EU Data Protection Authorities
- Etsy help articles:
- Lesley’s Artisan Analytics GDPR blog series: Data Privacy for Makers
- More help from Lesley
Subscribe to The Seller’s Resource – an all-audio content library of Etsy tutorials, Etsy news, & updates.
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources:
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com