Podcast: Play in new window | Download
The Etsy shop Dotto is in the spotlight this week!
Starting an Etsy business can seem a little intimidating at first. There are so many moving parts to consider, ideas to brainstorm, and challenges to overcome – for new sellers, it may seem like too much of a challenge to actually turn a profit.
On today’s episode I chat with Nicole Dotto, featured Etsy seller and founder of the Etsy shop Dotto – Vintage Clothing for a Good Cause and we cover a lot of ground. From everything including marketing and the selling tactics she uses in her business to promote her vintage products as well as her favorite tools and resources she recommends that new Etsy sellers consider using in their own businesses.
We also talk about pricing models and overcoming the storage and organization dilemma most sellers face. For those of you that sell items that consume a lot of space you’ll get some helpful tips and organization ideas.
Nicole launched her Etsy business in 2007. Like many new sellers, when she started her shop, she didn’t expect to make a sale for a while, but was pleasantly surprised by how fast her first item sold. Her laid back, fun approach to selling and marketing has set her apart from her competitors almost as much as the unique focal point of her products and designs.
Today, she gives us the inside scoop on how her Etsy business started, her approach to marketing and sales, how she prices her products, and how she finds time to model and photograph her wares.
In the midst of all this, she still makes the time to volunteer at a number of different charitable organizations in her community.
And hey… Nicole was featured on the Etsy blog back in March 2014 and today she tells me all about how she got that coveted feature!
[bctt tweet=”Having a specific focus helps you create a base of repeat customers” username=”ConvoMePodcast”]
Etsy Shop Dotto – Topics Discussed
- What was life like for Nicole before she became an Etsy seller?
- How she sets her shop apart from other online vintage clothing sellers?
- What does she love most about running her Etsy business… And what does she like least?
- Does she fear the possibility of running out of things to sell in her shop?
- Has her approach to selling and marketing her shop changed since she started?
- Does she use an inbound marketing technique, like newsletters, to help her keep in touch with her customers?
- Value pricing – how does she decide what to price her wares?
- How much research does she do for each of her products?
- Modeling and photography – DIY or hire?
- “Dripper” or “Dumper” (that’s a phrase I made up 😉 ) – how often does Nicole list new products?
- Marketing and shop promotion – how does she promote her Etsy shop?
- Etsy Blog – how she gained a featured spot on the Etsy blog.
- Storage and organization… The dilemma faced by multitudes of Etsy sellers – Nicole’s tips and techniques to overcome the challenge.
- And much, much more!
Nicole’s Etsy Shop ShoutOuts
Etsy Shop Dotto – Resources Mentioned
- Handmade Newsletter – Listen to my interview with Michele Gallagher, founder of Homemade Newsletter!
- Check out Nicole’s featured blog post on the Etsy Blog!
- Small Business Expo
- Etsy Shop ShoutOut Roar Package
BEST WAYS TO REACH NICOLE
Get Your Etsy Shop ShoutOut Today
PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO SUBSCRIBE AND LEAVE AN HONEST REVIEW OF THE PODCAST IN ITUNES AND STITCHER. THAT REALLY HELPS TO GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT THE SHOW.
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: