Affiliate disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. If you enjoy reading “Legalese”, here’s my full disclosure policy.
Jessica is building a business on Etsy around humor-based cancer support and filling a need in a space many people avoid.
In our conversation she shares candidly about the life experience that opened her eyes to this particular need, and it wasn’t a need to just start a business.
She started designing cards in 2017 after her husband was diagnosed with cancer. Her motto was “laughter is the best medicine” and her goal was to support the cancer community.
She grew her business, Better + Co., to include cards for all seasons and as of 2021, it has become Five Dot Post – both an Etsy shop and a website.
Her mission now is to keep you connected during the good, bad, and messy moments of life.
- Using humor to deal with heavy situations
- Finding a gap in a market and figuring out how to niche down
- Expanding into wholesale and retail/boutique stores
- Selling on multiple platforms, pop-up shops, and craft/vendor shows
- What works (and what doesn’t) in product photography and staging
- Pros and cons of working with big retail outlets vs. boutique stores
- Teaching others how to start a successful greeting card business from the ground up (Jessica’s course)
- And more…
Jessica’s Etsy Shop ShoutOuts
- Drawing a Blank Cards – run by Noelle where she sells her own hand-drawn clever, relatable cards and gifts for all occasions
My (Ijeoma’s) Etsy Shop ShoutOut
- Deer Dawn Etsy – Dawn Shade connected with me on Instagram and recommended Jessica as my podcast guest. Yay! She also makes and sells greeting cards on Etsy as well her original art prints and other paper goods.
- Faire and Abound – wholesale marketplace platforms for retail shops
- Wix – website-building platform
- Fiverr – resource for finding website designers and lots more
Connect With Jessica
- Etsy shops: FiveDotPost and BetterAndCompany
- Website: FiveDotPost.com
- Instagram: @fivedotpost
- Jessica’s Greeting Card Business course
- Join her newsletter here