Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“Know thyself.” Maybe you’ve heard it before, perhaps you haven’t. It’s a directive has been passed down since the time of the ancient Greeks. It sounds simple, but it is one of the most difficult things to do in life. The reality is that many people go through life without really developing a strong sense of self and identity.
The same is true in business. Many Etsy sellers struggle with marketing, because they do not have a brand that people understand or resonate with.
CLN & DRTY embodies the zest and positivity of its owner, Paula Tamara Hoss. One of the things I love, and which makes sellers like Paula particularly successful on a marketplace like Etsy is that she and her daughters are the face of her business. They embody the CLN & DRTY brand. Her brand’s message are her thoughts and how she lives her life, which makes it easier for her to reach out to her audience.
Paula is an artist. She loves creating things and sharing it with the world. She found the opportunity to share this passion for art with her own Etsy shop in 2008. Like many starting entrepreneurs, she struggled with self-limiting thoughts that hindered her from finding her true passion. 3 Etsy Shops and several years later (yes, you read that correctly), Paula founded CLN & DRTY without even knowing its potential for success.
Her shop was born out of her love for her daughters. She was concerned about the chemicals in the skin products that she was using and how it would affect her children. Her crafty and resourceful nature helped her produce home-made sunscreen from all natural products, which she based on recipes that she had found online. She shared it with her friends and it was an instant hit!
In this week’s episode, Paula shares the story of how she started doing business on Etsy. She tells about her muse, or her buyer persona, which allows her to develop products that fit her brand and the needs of her target market. She also provides tips and tools that she uses to manage her finances and market her business.
You are the face of your brand. You ARE your brand
CLN & DRTY – Topics Discussed:
- The benefits of being intentional with your business.
- Developing a product line that fits the needs and wants of your target market.
- Building a buyer persona to find out who is your target market and to keep your brand in line.
- Creating a line of products that complement each other.
- Nurturing collaborative relationships to expand your business.
- Paula’s experience transitioning from an employee to a business owner.
- Reaching out and building better relationships with your customers.
- Attraction not promotion.
- Finding the right people to advocate for or promote your product.
- Leveraging the power of parallel markets to create more value.
- Selling your products to high-end buyers.
- The Etsy Shipping Tool.
- Tools and techniques to manage your finances.
- Marketing Tools on and off Etsy.
- Hard lessons that Paula learned from Selling on Etsy.
CLN & DRTY Resources Mentioned
- The Side Hustle Show
- Tony Robbins: Are your beliefs holding you back?
- Thriving on Etsy and Beyond
- Etsy Artists of Boston
- The Well Essentials
Best Ways to Reach Paula:
- Website: CLNandDRTY.com
- Etsy Shop: CLN & DRTY
- Social Media: Instagram | Facebook
Please take a minute to subscribe and leave an honest review of the podcast in iTunes and Stitcher. That really helps to get the word out about the show.
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: