Podcast: Play in new window | Download
This week we are jumping right back into your Etsy copyright questions with Jared Haynie, J.D. of the Cambridge Law Firm in Denver, CO.
If you haven’t listened to Part.1 of this 2-part series, please do take some time to have a listen…
In that episode, Jared laid the groundwork for a lot of the questions that we got and defined some very “basic” legal terms that every Etsy seller ought to be familiar with.
Now we dive right into the rest of the questions that were submitted.
More Etsy Copyright Questions Answered
Here’s a sample of some of the questions you submitted which Jared tackled in this week’s episode:
- Is it okay to use trademarked terms in your tags… Even though shoppers on Etsy don’t even get to see your tags?
- If enough people (other sellers) are infringing on copyrights, violating trademarks, and using other entities’ intellectual property, does that make it okay or free-for-all?
- Is it okay to resell artwork that has been creatively transformed and recycled in lieu of trashing it?
- What are some good sources of copyright and trademark information that sellers can use for research and reference?
- Is it okay to create products using licensed characters or copyrighted material if the end product created is perishable?
- Is it okay to use colors that are inspired by popular characters with and/or without referencing the characters that inspired them?
- Does using the term “inspired by” absolve one of copyright or trademark infringement?
- Etsy article about intellectual property infringement – learn how to stay out of trouble when it comes to using (or not using) other peoples’ or companies’ intellectual property
- United States Patent & Trademark Office – use this resource to look up trademarks if ever you’re unsure, or as a general rule-of-thumb
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) – lists copyright and trademark offices/websites for countries around the world… Marlene, this one’s for you 😉
This episode of the podcast is sponsored by Etsy Success Strategies ~ The Audio Series. Subscribe to these premium podcasts and listen your way to successfully selling on Etsy.
- If you struggle to keep up with the Etsy Success emails (and other educational materials from Etsy), OR if you’ve have fallen behind in going through the Seller Handbook…
- Then sit back, press play, and get caught up one recording at a time.
- Subscribe now at ConvoMe.com/ReadToMe and you’ll get immediate access to the entire library of audio recordings not available on the free ConvoMe.com site or anywhere else…
- Then stick around because I add new audio content to the library continuously.
If you like what you hear in this episode and this entire series, please go to ConvoMe.com/ReadToMe to subscribe to Etsy Success Strategies ~ The Audio Series
Please take a minute to subscribe and leave an honest review of the podcast in iTunes and Stitcher. That really helps to get the word out about the show.
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: