Have you considered how using trending research to grow an Etsy shop can be the key to your success as a seller on the platform? If you haven’t then consider this… If you don’t know what’s trending (or going to be trending), either up or down, it’s very easy for you to miss the mark when it comes to Etsy success.
Laura Plenzik runs the Etsy shop Fashion Meme which she opened in 2012, but this wasn’t her first foray on Etsy… It just happens to be the one that she found great business success and fulfillment with.
Her secret sauce…? Research.
Laura studied Fashion Design and Trend Research in Spain and used the knowledge she gained when she was deciding what line of products to carry in her Etsy shop.
You see, Laura had opened a shop in 2010 on Etsy but then closed that one down (you’ll hear why in our conversation…), then came back again in 2012 with a new plan and this time it stuck.
Listen in to hear the details of Laura’s unique Etsy journey. In our conversation we talk about:
- Selling OOAK (one of a kind) items vs. items that can be made in multiples… Hear Laura’s experience and why she switched from one to the other
- Laura’s experiences as an Etsy seller both in the U.S. and outside of the U.S. – this is the first time on the podcast I’ve had a guest who has been a seller in more than one country… Interesting stuff!
- Laura’s theory on creating product lines vs. not creating product lines and her inspiration for new products
- Planning in advance for holiday shopping/selling… Laura’s strategy and some great resources to help you plan that are right inside your Shop Manager dashboard
- Time management strategies and Laura’s batching process
- Etsy shop promotion – social media vs. keywords and SEO… Which one Laura has found more success with and why
- And lots more…
Laura’s Etsy Shop ShoutOut
- Simply Pallets – Run by wife and husband team Alyssa and Matt where they sell rustic home decor, original art, and wooden furniture. Laura met them at the EtsyUp Conference back in 2016… Go check them out and let them know Laura sent you.
- Great source of DIY tutorials – ThreadBanger YouTube Channel
- Etsy seller resources – Etsy On Sale (bulk editing of tags); Marmalead and Etsy Rank (keyword research); GetVela (for adding pictures… may be used for other things now that Etsy allows 10 listing photos)
- Wholesale selling resource – Wholesale-In-A-Box
- Social media scheduling tools – Later (for Instagram post scheduling) and Tailwind (for scheduling Pinterest Pins and Instagram posts)
- Facebook Groups – Etsy Wholesale, Your 1st 1K on Etsy are some examples
- Conferences – DG Expo
- Online Tools – Canva (graphic design); Google Drive (document creation and storage); ToDoist app (organization and note-taking app)
- Productivity assistant – Google Home Mini
Subscribe to The Seller’s Resource – an all-audio content library of Etsy tutorials, Etsy news, & updates…
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: