Podcast: Play in new window | Download
This week’s episode is a special treat… A blast from the past!
I’ve dived deep into the archives to dig up some of episodes from earlier shows – ones that longtime listeners have loved, but which you may have missed if you’re a newer listener.
In this week’s conversation, we talk all about hand-thrown pottery and ceramics.
My guest is Diane Waters, and she owns and runs the Etsy shop Muddy Waters Ceramic Creations. Diane has worked with hand-thrown ceramics and pottery for several years, and her passion and love for the craft began after taking a course with her friend at a local pottery supply store.
She explains how the challenges of learning this new skill is what fueled her passion and determination to master it, which later led to opening her Etsy shop and selling her handmade wares online.
Since opening Muddy Waters CC on Etsy in January 2012, Diane has sold nearly 400 pottery pieces, ranging from ceramic mugs, cups, bowls, and dishes to trinket jars, tea pots, and Raku pieces.
We discuss the many ways she promotes her shop and ways to connect with your customers beyond creating promotional posts on Facebook or Twitter. Other topics of our discussion include the importance of good quality product photos, getting involved with teams and community events, and the importance of connecting with others for business growth.
Diane’s love for the craft and desire to create and make has been an inspiration to many creative entrepreneurs.
Muddy Waters Ceramic Creations – Topics Discussed
- Diane shares the story of how she began selling on Etsy.
- How she decides what she wants to create each day and why she chooses to create each piece exactly how she does.
- What Raku is. Diane describes the different firing and decorating techniques she uses to make each of her pottery and ceramic pieces and how they work.
- The advantages of using different sized kilns when making certain types of pottery items.
- How Diane manages her time as a creative entrepreneur, wife, mother, and owner of 3 dogs and 3 cats.
- Diane shares how she stays motivated to keep working on her store and making her wares and what she does when she starts feeling unmotivated.
- Why Diane refuses to check out the competition in her niche.
- How she decided which Etsy teams to join and how much time she dedicates to them.
- Etsy: Muddy Waters Ceramic Creations
- Social media: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram
- Website: MuddyWatersCC.com
Please take a minute to subscribe and leave an honest review of the podcast in iTunes and Stitcher. That really helps to get the word out about the show.
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: