Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Growing an Etsy business for a decade takes many things: patience, creativity and commitment. Stacey Hsu of Original Sock Dogs has all of those things in spades! Original Sock Dogs was started in 2007, but Stacey has been creating things with her hands for her entire life.
Her Etsy adventure began when she was visiting Taiwan to meet her husband’s extended family. While there are many stray dogs in the country, one in particular touched her heart. A street dog took a liking to Stacey and followed her around. Stacey fed the dog, and wanted to bring the dog back to the US but ultimately could not.
Needless to say she was heartbroken and wanted to do something for the dogs in her part of the world. So she began making sock dogs which she donated to the local humane society for an auction they were having. The sock dogs were a massive hit! Someone bought all ten of her donations for $100 each and a light bulb went off for Stacey. Thus began Original Sock Dogs and nearly 10 years later it’s still going strong.
On today’s episode of Etsy Conversations, Stacey explains how she found Etsy, why she decided to make custom orders of her sock dogs, and what happened after the Huffington Post called HER and wrote a feature about her creations!
Tweetable: “It takes a certain kind of creative person to keep going.”
Original Sock Dogs – Topics Discussed
- How has her business model changed over the years?
- Why did she start doing custom orders?
- What resources have helped her maximize her business?
- How does her audience and their stories influence her?
- Why she is choosing Facebook Live over Periscope.
- And much more!
Her daughter’s two Instagram pages: Echo’s Big Belly and Nora The Curious Cat
Original Sock Dogs Resources Mentioned
The Huffington Post article on Original Sock Dogs
Stacey’s favorite rescue organization
Create and Thrive podcast
Stop Sucking at Business podcast
Online Marketing Made Easy podcast
Etsy Conversations podcast
This Is Your Life podcast
Best ways to reach Stacey
- Email Stacey
- Stacey’s Original Sock Dogs web site
- Stacey’s Original Sock Dogs Etsy shop
- Original Sock Dogs on Facebook
- Original Sock Dogs on Instagram
- Original Sock Dogs on Pinterest
- Original Sock Dogs on Twitter
Please take a minute to subscribe and leave an honest review of the podcast in iTunes and Stitcher. That really helps to get the word out about the show.
Connect With Me:
- Twitter: Follow @ConvoMePodcast
- Facebook Group: Etsy Conversations – This is where I’m connecting with you after the podcast. Lots of fun convos here too!
- Facebook: Like the Etsy Conversations Podcast Facebook Page
- Pinterest: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Instagram: @EtsyConvo
- Google+: Etsy Conversations Podcast
- Email: Use the Contact Form OR interview [at] convome [dot] com
For more help growing your Etsy-based business, check out these resources: